Monday, August 30, 2010

Team Hangi

Wow what a weekend we had! So last week our friend Matt rang to say hey wanna meet us in Lakeside Montana (top of the Flathead Lake) for the weekend and of course we said yes cause it had been too long since the Andersons, Masseys and Ortons had all been together. In another phone call later that week, it came out who's place we would be staying at, that another family would be joining us and that we'd be having a hangi (where food is cooked under the ground). Then the girls started to talk to each other and we became aware that we weren't having the hangi, that we would be putting a hangi down for 200 people! Hillarious considering the boys had never put a hangi down!!!! Anyway we packed up on Friday and headed to fellow kiwis Gregg and Allys beautiful home that sits atop a hill overlooking the flathead lake with trees in front and mountains in the distance (sorry no photos) and with their son James gave us amazing hospitality by opening their doors and saying our home is your home, they didn't have to tell us twice!! The family that joined us were Willy, Evie and Makaia and its bizarre because Willy and I worked together in New Zealand over 10 years ago!! It was great to catch up and to meet his amazing wife Evie who I know I had fun hanging with! Anyways back to the hangi ..... on Saturday morning at 7.30am the boys headed out to the hangi site to dig the hole, put the rocks in and start the fire above it. In true American style they used blow torches and a blower thing to make the fire burn quicker ... I'm pretty sure the Maoris didn't do it that way! The girls and kids headed down about ten and at 1pm they put the food in the ground and at 6pm they pulled it up! I only have photos of them putting it in at this stage but I'll post some more of them pulling it out when I get them. The day was incredible, we met some incredible people like Zach and Sally who were hosting the party, the hangi was a success (thankfully), the kids had a blast, we ate good food, drank a couple of beers, spent quality time with best mates and new mates and ate good ole kiwi food and treats!!

Can't get my photos to work, annoying computer. So i'm going to upload them asap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment